Earn up to $400 for opening a new personal checking account at Citizens Bank – a solid bonus given the low requirements. You'll earn $300 for opening the checking account plus an opportunity to earn another $100 through debit spend.
How To Earn The Bonus
The Citizens Personal Checking Account promotion requires you to set up direct deposits, and optionally, make purchases using the account's card in order to earn the $400 bonus.
Full requirements to receive this bonus are:
- Open a new checking account using the link below.
- Within 60 days, make a direct deposit of $500 to earn $300.
- Within the same 60 days, earn $2 for every debit card purchase you make, up to $100.
- Bonus will be deposited to your new checking account within 4 months of account opening.
The fine print
- Not eligible if you've had a personal checking account with Citizens Bank within the previous six months.
- The new account must be open and in good standing on the payout date to qualify for this offer.
- Direct Deposit is recurring income electronically deposited into your Citizens checking account and may include salary, pension, and other regular income (such as Social Security).
- Qualified debit card transactions include signature and PIN-based debit transactions in person directly at a merchant location or in app or online merchant sites.
- Qualified debit card transactions from all debit cards on the checking account count toward the bonus.
- Online Bill Payments, Zelle® transactions and ATM transactions do not qualify.
- Must open your new checking account via Citizens’ online account opening system accessed by clicking on one of the links on the promo page.
- You should print their promo page for your records.
- Customer will only be paid a one-time bonus for this program.
- One debit card bonus per checking account.
- Offers may be withdrawn without notice and cannot be combined with any other checking offer.
How does this student checking offer from Citizens compare?
To help you determine how this bonus stacks against the rest, here are some of the most popular offers available right now:
Chase Business Complete Banking℠
- Account Type
- Business Checking
- Expires In
- 74 days
- Min Balance
- Card Spend (optional)
Why Citizens Bank?
Headquartered in Rhode Island, Citizens Bank has more than 1,000 physical locations in the Northeast and Midwest.
Citizens offers full-service banking, including private student loans, and is a convenient choice if you're in one of the 11 states where the company has a physical presence. Otherwise, while they offer online and mobile banking as you'd expect, they don't compete with the rates or tech offered by other online-only banks. Plus, they have a network of less than 3,000 ATMs, and will charge $3 each time you use an out-of-network ATM.
They're a top pick for their welcome bonuses – which are solid offers for relatively low requirements – but they're not at the top of our overall list of banks.
Student Checking does not charge a monthly fee.
One Deposit Checking™
One Deposit Checking™ does charge a monthly fee of $9.99, but there are ways to get this waived:
- Make one deposit each statement period
Citizens Quest™ CheckingCitizens Quest™ Checking is an interest-bearing account with no overdraft fees.
Citizens Quest™ Checking does charge a monthly fee of $25, but there are ways to get this waived:
- Reach a combined total balance of $25,000 across any of your Citizens Bank deposit and investment accounts.
Citizens Wealth™ CheckingCitizens Wealth™ Checking may be for you if you can maintain $200,000 in combined deposit and investments.
Citizens Wealth™ Checking does charge a monthly fee of $25, but there are ways to get this waived:
- Reach a combined total balance of $25,000 across any of your Citizens Bank deposit and investment accounts
- AND, either make a deposit of at least $5,000 in your checking account each statement period
- OR, maintain an average daily checking balance of $10,000
Citizens Bank Locations
You may sometimes be required to visit a branch in-person to take advantage of a welcome offer. Or, you may just prefer the convenience of banking with institutions that have locations near you.
Fortunately, Citizens Bank has a total of 1180 branches in the United States.
Get a better idea of how well Citizens Bank can serve you by checking out their branches closest to your area:
1234 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
344 Main Street
Beacon, NY 12508
273 Wall Street
Kingston, NY 12401
140 Washington Street
Dover, NH 03820
1 Capital Plaza, Suite 4
Concord, NH 03301
134 Pleasant Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801
154 Water Street
Exeter, NH 03833
35 Winnacunnet Road
Hampton, NH 03842
1 Constitutional Way
Somersworth, NH 03878
587 Main Street
Laconia, NH 03246
470 Bank Street
New London, CT 06320
28 State Street
Boston, MA 02109